By N.S. Palmer
1. Remember that every person you meet deserves to be treated with love and respect.
2. Remember that every person you meet knows something you don’t know.
3. Remember that you’ve been wrong plenty of times, so be open-minded and take other people’s ideas seriously.
4. Remember that even when other people’s ideas are wrong, you should still treat the people themselves with respect. If you disagree, argue the issues and not the people.
5. Remember that you’ve done plenty of things wrong, so be patient and forgiving when other people do it.
6. Remember that God forgives you for what you did wrong, so forgive yourself and focus on doing better.
7. Remember that you can’t change what happened yesterday, so don’t worry about it.
8. Remember that you can change what happens today, in this moment. Are you doing the best thing you could do? Are you being the best person you could be?
9. Remember that tomorrow is promised to no one. Plan for the future but enjoy the present.
10. Remember that nobody around here has all the answers. That includes scientists, religious leaders, teachers, politicians, and you. Trust in the essential goodness of the universe.
Copyright 2012 by N.S. Palmer. May be reproduced as long as byline, copyright notice, and URL (http://www.ashesblog.com) are included.